Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Public Lending Right - petition

Someone has brought my attention to the following. I've copied it directly from the petition page. It won't affect me in my unpublished state, but it is one thing I don't object to giving some of my taxes to.

PLR’s funding settlement for the three year period 2008/09 – 2010/11 has been announced by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport. The figures are as follows:

2007/08 (current funding) = £7,682,000

2008/09 = £7,432,000

2009/10 = £7,582,000

2010/11 = £7,682,000

A reduction in PLR funding will adversely affect the earnings of thousands of UK authors and illustrators. Many are self-employed, and in an industry as unpredictable as publishing, the annual PLR payment is a highly valued and reliable contribution to earnings. The Government is urged to retain the current funding level (2007/08) for PLR for each of the next three years. There should be no reduction in funding

If you wish you can sign the petition here.

2 comments:

Moondreamer said...

Very interesting, aliqot, thanks for this!

:o)

Catherine Edmunds said...

Signed it. I'm glad to see this has been publicised widely on writers' sites, as well as being emailed to all members of the Society of Authors. I hope the stink we're kicking up will have an effect.