Friday, January 25, 2008

Earth Hour

I've just been reading about Earth Hour - at 8pm on March 29th anywhere in the world, you turn your lights and other electrical appliances off for one hour. It may be just a token gesture towards greenness, to raise awareness of how we could do something to help slow global warming, but in Sydney last year it cut energy consumption by about 10% for the hour.
I felt great about the idea, until I thought of my internet addiction. First thing in the morning, last thing at night and most stations in between.
But we could always play Scrabble by candlelight.

3 comments:

Moondreamer said...

Thank you, aliqot, this is really interesting and I'm certainly going to join in!

Thank you for mentioning my post too! I agree about the 'three questions' ... like you say, that takes care of most things! And I love what you say about feeling guilty, your poem is fab!

I think it's easy to feel a sense of duty, but like my Mum says: Things are only things!

By the way, you have been tagged! But as the lovely Pacha said, 'No Pressure!' (I hope you don't mind ... you are the first person I have ever tagged!)

:o)

aliqot said...

I'll engrave that saying of your Mum's on my heart.

I'll try to think up (!) six interesting things later today.

Moondreamer said...

Oh ali, what a lovely thing to say!

Thank you, will pass that on to my Mum, as I know it will make her smile too.

Have fun with the meme ... I was totally stumped at first!

Now. This would be a good time for one of those little blushing icons, because I have to fess up ... the baby birds didn't actually survive long enough to be released. (I couldn't bring myself to put the sad bit in the meme!)

Though it might have been a blessing in disguise for the starling. Because they are very social birds and hang around in big flocks, I was worried about releasing a single bird.

We learnt lots though, so will hopefully do a better job if we are ever in that situation again!

:o)